Welcome

Hello, my name is Johnny and I am a straight 16 year old guy in Los Angeles. I feel very strongly on the subject of gay rights.

I named my blog "That's So Happy" because the phrase "That's so gay" is thrown around a lot. The word "gay" means happy. So what you're really saying is "That's So Happy." I hope one day this will be true.

Whether you are for or against gay rights, I urge you to leaf through the site and see the views of someone who truly cares about this issue.

I would like to ask you not to post any offensive comments.

If you have questions, comments, concerns, suggestions for topics...anything, don't hesitate to email me at jlazebnik@gmail.com.

Enjoy.

April 17, 2010

The Sound of Silence

Hello. My apologies for not posting in a while.

Yesterday, as I'm sure many of you know, was the National Day of Silence.

As I understand it, people all over America (and maybe in other countries as well) took a pledge to not say a word the whole day, in order to cast light on the gay people everywhere who have to hide their true feelings, like to a conservative Christian family, or a close-minded friend.

I had mixed feelings on this day. On one hand, it's showing the pain that thousands of people go through on a day to day basis, and it forces people to look up information about the day, and transitively, about gay rights.

On the other hand, is silence really helpful?

The whole point of a GSA is a place of comfort that anyone can join to feel accepted. The goal of a GSA is to speak out against things that are detrimental to gay rights, and to make an effort to unite gay and straight people. But silence seems to do the opposite- people are even more confused, and nothing gets said about gay rights.

So maybe it should be a day of explaining, or shouting, or yelling. But I guess that's way less fun.

I tried to do a whole day of silence, but when you have to go to 6 classes, it gets tricky. Plus I forgot every now and then. But it's the thought that counts, right? I hope.

At any rate, think about it and comment, if you want.

Stay happy.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment